Get ready to pull on those mitts and work up an appetite, it’s that time of year again!
Caerphilly Christmas Market
The old market town of Caerphilly is home to the second largest castle in Britain, Caerphilly Castle, which is now more than 700 years old. This is the fabulous setting for the town’s Christmas market, which features street theatre and hundreds of food, craft and gift stalls, providing many an opportunity to pick up a tasty or unusual Christmas present for someone you love.
- Castle St, Caerphilly CF83 1JD
- Saturday 7 December, 9am–5pm, Sunday 8 December, 10am–4pm
- Entry: free
Usk Christmas Festival at Twyn Square, Usk
This little picturesque town in Monmouthshire is exactly the type of place you’d imagine putting on a proper traditional Christmas celebration – much of the festival takes place around the pretty Twyn Square in the centre of town. Santa’s very own reindeers are anticipated to make a visit, and you can see them resting up at Usk Castle before they make their parade round town!
- Usk, Monmouthshire NP15 1BH
- Saturday 30 November, Sunday 1 December
- Entry: free
Hestercombe Gardens Christmas Market
Come to the beautiful grounds of the Grade II-listed Hestercombe House this year for carols in the courtyard, festive food and a fabulously Christmassy atmosphere. The gardens will be filled with a massive Christmas tree and more than 60 stalls selling treats, handmade crafts, hot drinks and more.
- Hestercombe Gardens, Cheddon Fitzpaine, Taunton, Somerset TA2 8LG
- Friday 15, Saturday 16, Sunday 17 November, 9am–5pm
- Hestercombe members: £3
- General admission: £3.50
- Children (15 and under): free.
Frome Christmas Extravaganza Market
From 5pm on Friday 29 November you can get involved in the festivities at Frome Christmas Market, starting with the magical Light Switch-On in the town centre. An evening of browsing Christmas market stalls will ensue – sip on mulled wine and sample Christmas treats, and there might even be an exciting surprise like years previous!
- Cheese & Grain, Market Yard, Justice Lane, Frome, Somerset BA11 1BE
- Friday 29 November from 5pm
- Entry: free
Christmas at Tredegar House
Not strictly a market, but a festive celebration all the same, the National Trust’s splendid Tredegar House in Newport, decorated in a traditional manner, will open its doors throughout December to welcome in the yuletide season.
- Tredegar House, Duffryn, Newport
- Saturday 30 November–Sunday 22 December, 11am–4pm weekdays and 10.30am–4pm weekends
- Entry: Normal NT admission charges apply, for those wishing to visit Father Christmas at the weekend it’s an additional £4 per child (must be booked in advance).
Header image credit: Hestercombe Gardens