Come along and enjoy the famous dish in all of its forms at a variety of events from 19–25 March
The Festival will celebrate the magic of traditional dals of the Indian subcontinent alongside other pulse dishes from around the world, from the refried beans of Mexico and fava dips of Greece to Britain’s pease pudding and mushy peas.
The Festival will promote the cultural richness, flavour, and affordability of dal as well as its contribution to health, nutrition and environmental sustainability. Dal is any split pulse (lentil, bean or pea) or pulse stew or soup. In particular the Festival will highlight pulses grown in the UK such as fava beans and split yellow and green peas, all perfect ingredients for dal.
The British Dal Festival will offer many opportunities to share, enjoy, grow and learn about dal:
- Running throughout the week take a Dal Trail around 20+ of Bristol’s restaurants and eateries includingThali Café, Gopal’s Curry Shack, River Cottage Canteen and Harts Bakery.
- Share stories and eat dal dishes from Bristol’s many language communities at a lunch for women and children with community organisations 91 Ways and Refugee Women of Bristol on Tuesday 20th March
- Enjoy a free dal lunch and buy ingredients for dal at Bristol Farmers Market around St Nick’s on Wednesday 21st March cooked up by The Thali Cafe and 91 Ways.
- Come and grow dal by planting lentils, peas and bean in Bristol’s Millennium Square with Incredible Edible.
- See demos from top chefs and dal experts at our Grand Dal Finale – including Romy Gill, Jenny Chandler and Krishna Dutta. Enjoy street food, market stalls, and children’s activities on Sunday 25
- Use the free to download Dal Lesson Plan to run a dal cooking workshop and cross-curricular lesson at your school.
- Become a Dal Champion by entering your favourite dal dish in the dal championship!
Details of all these activities are available on britishdalfestival.com where tickets can be booked for the Grand Dal Finale.
For more information and to book tickets, please visit www.britishdalfestival.com